Joanna posted "Things not to do when visiting a McDonald's" at McDonald's Talk, a Live Journal community where many McDonald's employees post their thoughts, stories, complaints and ideas about their employment at McDonald's. She has worked at McDonald's for 2 years.
Here are a few of my favorites of the 43 McRules she has posted (I've made some minor corrections to spelling and grammar):
- Don't confuse franchises! We don't Biggie size, we don't have onion rings or nachos, and no...you may not "Have it your way."
- If you ordered a burger without pickles and they somehow ended up there anyway... just pick them off because that's all I'm going to do when you bring it back to me to "fix it."
- Don't come into the lobby two minutes before we close. Chances are I've already cleaned, and it will only cause me to do unspeakable things to your (already stale) food.
- Don't scream at me if I ask you to repeat your order... we're talking about cheeseburgers, not missiles... so calm down!
- If you don't see tomatoes on the sandwich in the picture don't [f#@%ing] ask me to take them off. The Big Mac has been around for ages... it doesn't have tomatoes.
- Does this look like Toys-R-Us? Who cares if your kid's got 10 of the same toy already. That's telling me you don't feed them at home enough!
- When I hand you your food and say "Have a nice day," you better respond with a smile, a "Thanks, you too," or at least acknowledge my existence. Its called being polite people.Wow
I don't know how important it is to follow Joanna's McRules, but it might be helpful to remember that other McDonald's employees might share her state of mind. It might help you avoid the "unspeakable!"
Joanna has also posted some photos of herself at work on her Myspace page.
Others have posted there own versions of rules like these here and here.
UPDATE: Joanna has deleted her post and made her Myspace page private now, so the links above won't work. Fortunately I saved a text copy and I've posted a copy of her complete original list.
UPDATE2: You can listen to a radio interview with Joanna (after she was fired).